Cheese, train tickets and more goodbyes – WWOOF- Day 20-04/10/19

I am doing WWOOF – a month-long programme where I am working on a French farm.  I am writing a daily blog about my experiences.  I will write in English and French.  My French isn’t perfect and there will be mistakes.  And I may use Frenglish.  I welcome all corrections.  I tend to transliterate more than translate, but I’m working to improve this.

Considering this, the French sections of the blog won’t be exact word-for-word translations from the English.  Firstly, the language doesn’t work like that and secondly I make jokes and references in the English that won’t translate over to the French.

Today was Friday which meant that Matthias was teaching.  I hadn’t been set any specific work, so I decided to continue washing bottles.  But first I needed to feed the rabbits.  However, I saw that one of them was dead.  As Matthias was away, I told Oceane and she removed the body and asked me to clean out the cage.  We put the other rabbit in a temporary hutch.  She thought it was the severe cold last night that killed it and I agreed.

Afterwards Elisabeth arrived and we spent the morning cleaning out all of the rabbit hutches.  Understandably, Elisabeth was very upset.  She knows that it’s the life with these animals, but that doesn’t make it any easier.  I’ve spent 2 years working in a care home.  I know that my residents are effectively there to die, but that doesn’t make saying goodbye any easier.

Anyway, our work finished at 12 and at 12.30, we had lunch.  Elisabeth told me that at 14hr30, she was going to run errands in Diueppe and suggested that I come with her so I could buy my train tickets for Paris.  We arrived at the station at 15hr and bought the tickets.  I tried my best to order them in French, but my listening and confidence let me down.  Thankfully Elisabeth was there to help and the seller was very nice (and he spoke English.) My initial asking of the tickets went well, but then the seller started talking about the train timetable and I was lost.  I gave up talking in French and reverted to English.  Although I recovered a little at the end when we were discussing the return journey.

Although the interaction could have been better, I wish I had persevered more in my French, but I’m still happy with my progress.  It was definitely better than when I was in Paris in 2015 and I asked for a ticket office instead of a ticket.  Lol.

At 15h15, we had finished.  Elisabeth attended to her errands and I returned to the coast, as I had an hour to kill.  Compared to last time, the weather was worse and the waves were much rougher.


I stayed there until 16hr, when I headed for the rendeyvous.  The rendeyvous was a WW2 memorial garden where there was this strange structure and old men playing petanque.

The French love petanque – they play it everywhere.  Elisabeth’s errands took longer than expected and we rendeyvoused at 5, instead of 4.  By 17hr30, we returned to the farm.  At 18hr, I decided to make myself useful and I deseeded beans for the next hour.  I finished at 19hr and at 20hr, I chained up Jack for the night.

This was considerably easier than yesterday.  The only problem was that he had wandered into Rose and Lily’s stable.  While getting him out of there, Rose escaped into the rest of the farm.  Luckily, I was able to lure her back with some bread before any damage was caused.  At 21hr, we had dinner.  I do love the bread and cheese at the end of every meal.  It’s the best part about France.  When I get my own place, I’m going to have a killer cheeseboard.  But that’s all for day 20.  A day of cheese, train tickets and hard goodbyes.


Aujourd’hui etait vendredi.  Comme d’habitude Matthias enseigniez.  Il n’ya pas du travailleur pour moi, donc j’ai décidé a laver plus bouteilles et deseed plus haricots.  Mais premiere, je devrais donner un manger a les lapins.  Cependant, un lapin était mort.  Matthias était au loin donc j’ai dit Oceane.  Elle a remové la corpse et elle m’a demandé a nettoyer la cage.  Elle a pense que le nuit dernière était trop froid pour le lapin.  Je suis d’accord.

Apres, Elisabeth a vient et ensemble, on a réarrangé les autres lapins dans accommodation temporaire et on a nettoyé leur maisons.  Ce nous avons pris tout le matin.  On apprit dejeuner a 12hr30.  Elisabeth m’a dit qu’a 14hr30, elle ira Diueppe a faire des choses.  Elle m’a proposé que je viens avec lui donc je pourrais acheter mes billets pour Paris.  Samedi 12, je verrai des amies là.  J’ai trop hautement.

Donc a 15hr, on est arrive a Diueppe.  J’essayé a demandé les billets en Français.  Tandis que l’interaction commencé bien, j’avais mal du comprendre le vendeur parlait sur les horaires des trains.  Heureusement Elisabeth m’aidé et le vendeur parle Anglais mais j’ai énervante qu’était s’arriver.  J’ai concédé parler en Français et je parle en Anglais.  Quoique a la fin d’interaction, j’ai récupéré et j’ai compris le vendeur.  Donc, l’interaction n’était pas parfaite, c’est pourrais avoir été meilleur mais j’etais heureuse a ma progresse.  C’est meilleur qu’en 2015 a Paris quand j’ai demandé pour un guichet en lieu un billet.

Alors, a 15hr15, Elisabeth a parti a faire les choses.  J’ai une heure a plus explique.  Premiere, je suis retourné mais il vendu et la mer avait trop pouvoir.  Plus fort que la dernière fois, j’étais la.

Je restais la jusqu’un 16hr ou j’ai parti pour mon rendeyvous avec Elisabeth.  Le rendeyvous était a cet jardin de memorial guerre mondial 2.  Il y a avait cette bizarre sculpture et beaucoup hommes jouer petanque.  Le Français jouent petanque.  Ils le jouent partout.

Alors, les errands des Elisabeth pris plus longtemps a faire qu’a expecté et on est retourné a la ferme a 17hr30.  A 18hr, j’ai décidé continuer deseeding les haricots.  Je le fais pour une heure et j’ai fini a 19hr.  A 20hr, j’attaché jack pour la nuit.  C’était plus facile que dernière soir.  Le seule probleme était Jack cachait dans la stable du Rose et Lily.  Quand, je attrapais Jack, Rose escaped.  Heureusement, I lured her back to her stable utilise le pain, avant elle faisait une desorde.  A 21hr, on appris diner.  J’adore le pain et fromage après diner.  Quand j’ai chez moi, j’aurai la mieux board du fromage.

Alors, c’est tout pour jour 20, un jour du froamge, billets de trains et les difficiles adieus.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s